Old 26-08-2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James James is offline

Default How many here grow food gardens inside green house year round?

William L. Rose wrote:
"simy1",
I'm an escapee from the housing tracts so please abide me while I sort
out your greenhouse design.

With your 100' x 12' vinyl, you get a tunnel, that, in a perfect world,
can be no more than 3.82' tall, with a width of 7.64', right?
Practically, what is it? What grade and o.d. PVC pipe do you use for the
hoops? How many and what kind of clamps do you use, and where have you
found it most advantageous to place them? Double clamps? What's that?
Any special fold in the vinyl to seal the tunnel? What important
question didn't I ask?

So that give you an ideal maximum protected surface area of 352.79 sq.
ft. with no vinyl to lay the bricks, concrete, heavy somethin' on. What
is the reality? What measurements do you have for height, width, and
usable surface area in your green house?

How is the accessabilty? I'm about 6'2" and 250 lbs, Am I going to need
a mechanic's platform dollie to get in and out of the tunnel?

Sorry for so many questions but I already have enough chores and I'd
like to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks for your time,
- Bill

I think with 12' wide sheets he's got hoop tunnels instead of hoop
house. One doesn't enter a hoop tunnel. You put the sheet over
growing plants and take it off to harvest. Of course he could have a
house if he puts the sheets on as 100' wide and 12' long.

A friend got the hoop house plan off the internet but used cheap vinyl
instead of greenhouse quality stuff. Winds torn the plastic the first
winter.