Old 26-08-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim[_1_] Phyllis and Jim[_1_] is offline

Default New Ponder ?'s

Sean,

Do you need a permit to have native fish in a pond? You do here in MS.

Jim

sean mckinney wrote:
You and I are in the same boat then, infact my ponds are semi raised to
avoid sal****er flooding at extrememly high tides.

Re trout, I have trout in my pond but it is well planted and there must
be a lot of natural food in there ie insect larvae. They require a
'special' diet, high protein I believe, and I did buy high protien food
but the trout wont touch it, fortunately the goldfish like it. I am told
trout need cold water and well aerated water and my fish pond, where the
trout is/are, is certainly the coolest pond I have. I put a couple of
fingerling trout in to eat goldfish fry and they seem to do that quite
well. That said realistically I think my fish pond is pushing the lower
limit in terms of suitable size. Trout also defend a territory and I
think several of my goldfish carry the scars to show where they
incurred a trout's 'displeasure', I have certainly seen at least one
scale detached in a "oi, clear off, this is my space" reminder

--
sean mckinney