Old 26-08-2006, 02:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com George.com is offline

Default George.com..... Mushroom Compost

"Ronn Cliiborn" wrote in message
George.com,
Hello, I have seen several of your post re mush. comp.
I am just wondering what part of the country you live in that grows
mushrooms.
Do they grow them in caves? or Dark Houses?

I'm interested to hear about it and would take it to email if you so
desire.

Ron

hadn't remembered I wrote that much ******** Ron. Most of it seems correct.
Certainly the soils I dug mushroom compost in have become significantly more
fertile. I get the odd batch of compost direct from a mushroom farm here in
New Zealand. The stuff is 'spent' as in mushrooms have been grown in it
already so I am not sure there is a high nutritional value left in it. The
farmer mixes it himself so I have seen what goes in to it (other farms may
use different mixes), basically some poop, straw and lime (dolomite or
agricultural) which he rotates every so often in a barn. The lime is the
component I said will sweeten soils.

The compost is steam sterilised for use, some farms may use chemicals, and
it has been hot composted so there is not much biological life left in it. I
have never had any mushrooms sprouting from the spent compost which is
actually fine by me as I use it as a cheap mulch around hedges and shrubs or
occasionly as a soil conditioner.

rob