Old 27-08-2006, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Bananas propergation and Care

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Wooster wrote:

the plant is in full view of our sitting room window, so I will have to
think hard about protection for it(suppose I could draw a smiley badge

face
on the cage Lol)

Yes, it's a problem a lot of folks who grow exotics have to face. I
don't have to worry about it down here since winters are mild enough
for several Musa species to come through without any form of protection
and in some years they remain virtually evergreen. I understand that
over in Norfolk, Will Giles builds a big enclosure of straw bales to
protect his clump of basjoo and then covers it in a tarpaulin. I'm not
sure I would be prepared to go to that extent.

Once saw someone using large chimney pots stuffed with straw and capped
these did not look too awful, perhaps something along the same lines could
be made weaving willow to put the straw in which would be lighter.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk