Old 27-08-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane Jane is offline

Default Plastic mesh baskets for bulb planting

Does any one know where one can buy these at a reasonable price?i know
Bakkers stock them but I am looking for something a bit cheaper ;-0
Perhaps someone has a brilliant idea for using some thing else?

Why do you want to use a plastic mesh basket when planting bulbs?

I find it's easy to lift the bulbs in their baskets of soil, then they can
die off naturally without taking up space and looking unsightly in the
border.

I use acquatic pond baskets, which I think are cheaper than bulb baskets and
come in various sizes. You could also try chicken wire shaped into a
basket. Or landscape fabric/plastic sheeting and leave the ends sticking
out of the soil to make the whole thing easier to lift when the bulbs have
finished.