Old 27-08-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default New Gardener

Little Weed wrote:
Hi all
i have just taken on an allotment, surrounded by books, magazines,
offers of "good advice". trouble is - how do I start? I have the option
of a strimmer, a chainsaw or a flame thrower Definately a case of
can't see the soil for the undergrowth! I'm really up for making a good
job of this but don't need to make heavy work of it unnecessarily - any
ideas?
LW

Depends what the undergrowth is. If it's the usual non-woody stuff (up
to and including brambles), going over it with a good strimmer could be
a useful start. But you'll still need to dig over the plot, so you'll
be getting the roots out while you're doing that. If it's just softish
weeds, it probably isn't worth cutting them off before digging. Don't
try to rush it: a bit at a time, stopping before you get blistered and
knackered.

In my experience, the really heart-breaking weeds are the grasses. But
whatever your weeds, you at least have the consolation of starting off
a nice compost heap!

--
Mike.