Old 27-08-2006, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default New Gardener

"Little Weed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all
i have just taken on an allotment, surrounded by books, magazines,
offers of "good advice". trouble is - how do I start? I have the option
of a strimmer, a chainsaw or a flame thrower Definately a case of
can't see the soil for the undergrowth! I'm really up for making a good
job of this but don't need to make heavy work of it unnecessarily - any
ideas?
LW

I am surprised no one has suggested mulching part of the allotment with old
carpet or underlay until such time as you are ready to get round to it. It
may depend on how big your lot is however you could leave part of it slowly
dying under cover whilst you break the rest in and find a lot of the stuff
left fallow dead or dying when you get round to it.

rob