Old 20-03-2003, 01:32 AM
torgo

Default still another batch of roses

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:31:47 -0600, dave weil
wrote:

Oh yes, Papa is a wonder. With a tall, stately, candelabra shape, it's
oneof those few "bouquet quality" well-shaped red roses with a scent.

Mine is about 7 feet tall and it only gets sun until 1 pm.

Yep, Papa Meilland is another part of that family with Mr. Lincoln,
Oklahoma, and Chrysler Imperial (a proud parent). The whole bunch of
'em are enough to make me want to take up hybridizing.

I have many Austins. They are addictive to those of us who like fragrance
and don't mind the floppy old rose form. I have a baby tradescant, baby
Abraham Darbys, Pat Austin, Jude the Obscure, Radio Times, Golden
Celebration, Molineaux, Perdita, all of these are wonderful. Tamora is a
sweet apricot Austin that gets 2.5 feet tall max and smells like licorice
to my nose. (Myrrh, they say it is.)

Don't forget the amazing Graham Thomas.

I'm just not that big on yellow quite yet. For now, the daffodils and
day lilies give me more than my fill of yellow blooms. My mother
just got several David Austins, though, including a Graham Thomas, so
maybe hers will win me over. If it does, I know Paul at Ashdown Roses
has a particularly good strain of Graham Thomas whenever I'm ready to
make the drive to S.C.

Until then, The Prince is next on my David Austin wish list, followed
by Lillian Austin and whatever nice pure white Austin I can find.
(Anyone have any recommendations?)

Now it's time to teach the secret handshake...

Wouldn't a secret twelve-step program be more appropriate?