Old 28-08-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Little Weed Little Weed is offline

Default New Gardener

I am surprised no one has suggested mulching part of the allotment with old
carpet or underlay until such time as you are ready to get round to it. It
may depend on how big your lot is however you could leave part of it slowly
dying under cover whilst you break the rest in and find a lot of the stuff
left fallow dead or dying when you get round to it.

rob

Thankyou everyone for those ideas - I am really looking forward to
getting started. Most of it is long grass, brambles and general weed.
There are also two small trees which I intend to dig out. I shall be
taking on board all of your suggestions, and look forward to getting
'something' in very soon - probably kale, and fruit trees, just so I
can say - its mine! Winter will be spent replacing the fencing - aided
by my potting shed - which I shall furnish with a couple of chairs, my
flask - and who suggested beer? My husband reckons that was the most
attractive idea of the lot!

LW