Old 28-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Mustang Mustang is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePoole Torquay
This is done because of the intensity of winter cold. The ground often
freezes solid to a fair depth in states where they are dug, which can
kill the rhizomes. The return of serious heat in spring enables even
the most weakened root-stocks to make a very fast and full recovery.
Funnily enough, I lost a few basjoo last winter. And my sikki has only just started to sprout in the last couple of weeks! Maybe keeping them in pots exposed them to more cold than if they were in the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePoole Torquay
By contrast in the UK, springs are often long, cool and usually wet
only warming slowly over several months. If the roots are to be dug and then replanted each year, they need to be restarted under glass (preferably heated) to get the plants moving quickly.
Yes I agree. But popping them into a greenhouse early Spring should help to bring them around quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePoole Torquay
If you are growing Musas or Ensetes that are more tender and cannot withstand winters outside, then you have to lift them or resort to very intensive insulation methods.
Yup, got these as well. Planning on hanging the ensete maurelii upside-down to drain it of water, then wrap and keep dark & cool somewhere. Then, pop into the greenhouse when spring comes next year. Will see what happens.

And of course, keep my fingers crossed.