Old 28-08-2006, 02:20 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens
Mike Mike is offline

Default And some people say there's no God...

Jangchub wrote:

Mind is pure energy. Therefor it cannot be created or destroyed. It
has to go somewhere so it continues, in its pure state to take a
rebirth into what I'll categorize as a good rebirth. Taking a human
rebirth is always best.

I think you are using the word "energy" somewhat metaphorically. In
physics, the word "energy" has a very precise meaning. In physics it
is true that there is a law of conservation of energy (or, to be more
precise, a mass-energy conservation law provided we equate mass and
energy via St. Albert's equation e=mc^2). But surely you are not
claiming that mind is energy in the exact physical meaning of the word.
If you claim that then I would remind you that energy, almost by
definition, is the capacity to do WORK (in the precise physical meaning
of the word "work"). If you claim that mind is physical energy, then I
challenge you to affect the physical behavior of even a single dust
mote using your mind alone.

Surely you don't claim that. You must be using "energy" merely as an
analogy or metaphor for your conception of mind. But if we have only a
mere analogy, you cannot blithly claim that mind cannot be created or
destroyed and invoke the physical principle of energy conservation to
do so. You are making mere word play here so as to give your concept
of mind a veneer of scientificity.

If you see my point here, then you must admit that you are making a
completely arbitrary assumption that mind cannot be destroyed --- an
assuption that relies only on faith and not on reason. Hence your
further inferences about reincarnation are null and void as far as
reason is concerned.

Look, I don't care much if you believe in anything. I also don't
believe because I do believe in things I can't always explain doesn't
make me an idiot. Far from it. But, you have your agenda of smacking
people down and that's your baggage as a person, not mine.