Old 28-08-2006, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate kate is offline

Default Bumble bees sleep in garden?

Ook wrote:
Couldn't tell by the pics. The male carp bee will have a white face
along with a hairless abdomen, where the bumble bees abdomen will be
hairy.... heat must be getting to me because I didn't even think about
this time of year being when drone bumblebees will make their appearance
and they will live away from the bee colony, so very possible it is
bumblebees you are seeing...the drone has no stinger, so a test of sort
would be to pick one up bare handed
--
Lar

They are definitely fuzzy. Um...I think I'll pass on the stinger test :P.
I'll take a close look tomorrow. I have this flower bush out front that
usually has 10-20 of the critters buzzing around it at any time. Something
about the bush attracts them, not sure what it is.

I find bees asleep on zinnias. The first time wass early evening and I
thought the bee was dead but I watched him wake up the next mornng.

Kate