Old 28-08-2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_3_] is offline

Default Fifteen year old Okra seeds

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

While cleaning in my basement this weekend (a traumatic thing to do cuz
I'm a packrat) I found a jar of okra seeds that I saved about 15 years
ago. Maybe 16 or 17 years, but less than 20. I started to throw them
out, but I was curious if they might still be viable. So I took about a
dozen seeds and soaked them overnight (didn't look promising, half of
them were still floating the next morning) and then wrapped them up in a
damp paper towel. When I peeked at them this morning, most of them were
already sprouted -- that's less than 48 hours.

They are telling me that I need to plant okra next year.

Bob

Cool beans... :-)

Speaking of which, you are aware that bean seeds found in archeological
digs 1,000 years old still sprout on occasion.......

A little water is always cheap to see if seeds are viable.

Well done!
--
Peace!
Om