Old 28-08-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Elizabeth[_2_] Elizabeth[_2_] is offline

Default Plastic mesh baskets for bulb planting

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:03:58 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Jane" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Why do you want to use a plastic mesh basket when planting bulbs?
I've never bothered lifting bulbs annually. I would think that
lifting the same bulbs annually must disrupt their roots and feeding
Bulbs planted in plastic sheeting would surely get so water logged
they would rot; but in any case, surely plastic or fabric sticking out
of the border soil, on view for six months, would be a whole lot more
unsightly than a few weeks of fading leaves?

My borders are so small that if I left the bulbs to die down I'd not have
space for anything else. After I've lifted the baskets (soil and all) I
then drop in something for the summer.

"For the summer" sounds like annuals? It's possible to plant the
bulbs a little deeper, and plant annuals or perennials on top. As the
bulbs go over the expanding spring foliage of perennials and annuals
cover up the fading leaves.

Janet

Thanks for the replies.
Janet, this is mainly for tulip bulbs in the border we plant our
summer annuals, like Jane
this particular border is quite small so it suits us to be able to
lift the clumps and store for the following year

Daffs and other bulbs are left in to spread and multiply in other
parts of the garden :-)
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply