Old 20-03-2003, 01:44 AM
FarmerDill

Default tomato pollination

You know, I keep reading and hearing about tomato hornworms.
But I've never actually SEEN one, and I've never seen any
other insect-damage to tomatoes either. (I've grown
tomatoes for about 25 years, in four different states and
one Canadian province.)

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Pat

I don't know about the insect proof cages either. But if you live in the
southland there are several insect pests for tomatoes, The most deadly are the
tiny little thrips that spread the spotted wilt virus, The tomato fruit worm
(same critter as the corn earn worm but it likes to bore into toamtoes just
before they get ripe) can also do a lot damage. Hornworms are rare here and so
easy to spot that they are not really a consideration.