Old 29-08-2006, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener madgardener is offline

Default Bumble bees sleep in garden?

Ook wrote:
I have hundreds of bumblebees in my garden, and they are gentle like honey
bees and love my sunflowers and squash. Good polinators. I have noticed that
in the evenings, a lot of them find a nice cozy leaf or flower and curl up
and spend the night there. In the morning, I have a bunch of sleeping bumble
bees all over the garden. According to wiki they have colonies, but I'm
guessing they do not always spend the night there? Anyone else ever see
this?

I've taken many digital pictures, and PETTED very very carefully,
sleeping bumble bees in the early hours of the day as they slept on
flowers. I love how they turn their leg backwards as if they're some
reluctant teenager who just can't wake up for school...........I
carefully stroke the fuzzy back and guess they're not warmed up yet.
I've done this for years, after noticing it myself once I moved into
this house and have so much nature around me.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where I found
three sleeping bumblies on my willow leaf rudbeckia's this morning after
the intense thunderstorms and rains of last night