Old 29-08-2006, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
steve steve is offline

Default Should I be concerned about the bamboo getting too close to my neighbor's pool?

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:18:47 -0400, miamicuse wrote:

short neck
I have a bed where I planted these budda belly's bamboo (wamin) about
five years ago. They started to spread a little. Here are two pictures where
you can see the new shoots are very close to a chain linked fence.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/P1000349.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...6/P1000350.JPG

On the other side of the fence is my neighbor's property. Their
swimming pool is only four feet from the fence.

Is this a disaster waiting to happen? What can I do?

Thanks,

MC

Nice specimen!

I wouldn't worry too much about your neighbor's pool with this species.

Bambusa vulgaris 'Wamin' is a clumping bamboo with short-necked
rhizomes. It is unnecessary to use a barrier or go to great effort to
chase non-existent monopodial rhizones (such as with running bamboos). You
should simply cut the shoot off as deep as you can with a shovel, or
remove the rhizomes that are sending up shoots toward your neighbors
fence. Better yet, carefully divide them out, propagate, and sell. Send
one to me!! Restrict your watering to the middle and the side of the clump
opposite your neighbor's fence. Leave the space between the clump and the
fence dry. This may discourage what slow progress the plant may be making
toward your neighbor's yard.

Here is some info on clumping versus running bamboos:

https://www.bambooheadquarters.com/bamboorunning.php
http://www.littleacrebamboo.com/bamboo.htm
http://www.tropicalbamboo.com/Bamboo_clumping.asp
http://www.booshootgardens.com/species.html