Old 29-08-2006, 06:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] brucef@eudoramail.com is offline

Default Grey water on gardens

Staycalm wrote:
I'm interested in some low cost solutions to using our grey water. Anyone
got any hints on how to go about it? Good website references would help too.

http://www.greywaterreuse.com.au/

I attended a saturday workshop with Ross, and he really knows his
stuff.

Essentially (from memory):

* don't use greywater from your kitchen sink. This water probably
accounts for less than 10% of your greywater production, but the
grease and crud in your sink water will probably give you 90% of
the problems

* don't use on your vege garden. That is the official word, although
lots of people do. As long as you are using drippers it is probably
fine, maybe not for root veg

* if you can use a gravity feed system it will save you a great deal
in setup and maintenance costs

* don't mix greywater with rainwater

* don't save your greywater too long. Empty the tank daily is ideal,
although your plants are probably better off on a 3 day cycle.
Perhaps if you rotate the watering zone...

* your greywater collection system must overflow back into the
sewer

* other stuff that I have forgotten (I haven't actually implemented a
greywater system)

If you are in Perth Ross will come out and prepare a greywater
plan for your block for a very reasonable fee.

What sort of detergent is best when on this system?

Ross showed us a table which had all the brands cross referenced
against phosphates and other salts. A lot of the brands increased
salts when they reduced phosphates and that is bad for your garden.
The liquid detergents however had much lower salt levels, so a good
rule of thumb is to use a liquid detergent and you should be fine.