Old 29-08-2006, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default flower bed

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 28/8/06 23:30, in article ,
"philip" wrote:

Hi,
The previous owner has a flower bed in front of the house which I like,
but the level of the soil is uncomfortably as high, close to the damp
course.
was told to dig a "brick depth" and fill it with chips. My question is:
The
soil might find it way back and mixed in with the chips. Would it be
possible
to lay some porous material which will provide good drainage and at the
same
time keep the soil separate? Which is more suitable, wood or stone
chips; and
what porous material that is available? You kind assistance would be
appreciated.

You should have two courses of bricks clearance between the soil/path
surface and the DPC. If not, you lay yourself open to damp problems. And
your insurance wouldn't want to know about it if the soil level was too
high. I would dig it out once the flowers have gone over for this year, and
have a fresh start next year.

Look upon it as an opportunity to add manure or whatever takes your fancy,
and rearrange the flowers to your own choices.

Steve