Old 29-08-2006, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Catasetum question

A catasetum bulb was included with an order earlier in the summer. It
was tagged with a note thanking me for my order and here's a free gift.
I honestly had no idea what to do with it, and planted it into a small
pot and waited. It looks like new roots are forming at the top of the
bulb, I probably planted the darned thing upside down. It's hard to
identify green side up when the item is only a green bulb with no roots
or leaves. It's about 3" long 1/2" diameter with 3 rings where leaves
were previously.

Should I lay the bulb on it's side and let nature decide or replant it
with the end now at the top in the mix? Now that sounds like the punch
line in a joke I heard in the military, "Turn her over". What a
question, this will probably have all of you ROFL. I find it
hilarious. "Here's your free plant, I don't know what to do with it,
so someone, anyone can give it a try." But I am intrigued and would
like for it to have a chance.

Any suggestions? Don't hammer me too badly. I didn't order it. The
little elves just included it with some other stuff and I didn't have
an opportunity to research and plan for its arrival. I did try, but
probably got it 180 degrees out of phase.

Nancy