Old 29-08-2006, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Catasetum question

wrote:
When a catasetum starts growing, it thrives on plenty of moisture and
frequent fertilizing. Sphagnum is a good moisture retentive medium, so
is fine bark and peat moss. Arrange the plant so the new roots can
reach the medium, give it good light, water and fertilizer and let it
do its thing. When the leaves on the new growth drop, let the medium
dry out. It's a good idea to keep the bulbs bareroot while they are
dormant.

Currently it's in a fine mix, downside up of course. Will reverse it
and richen the mix a little. Fortunately (or not) am in an
agricultural area and manure from cattle is in abundant supply. Since
I retired from the army, I just can't abide B.S.

www.carterandholmes.com has a very good Catasetum culture page.

I have their site book-marked. Tim cringes every time I look at their
orchids. Their Catt collections were birthday present to myself before
we together. A high percentage of my Catts were purchased there 8 or 9
years ago. Wonderful plants and blooms.

Thanks for your help.

Nancy

Hope this helps.