Old 29-08-2006, 08:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen gardenlen is offline

Default Getting rid of ants - Pot Plants

g'day rayband,

yep drowining them out is usuall the way to go, but with a heavy pot
that can be difficult so maybe set some baits on the pot and around
it, this does take time to work though.

another you could do and what is needed to keep the ants out of the
pots in the first place is! have the pot standing on some pot legs or
bits of broken tile in a deepish rather than shallow tray and keep the
tray full of water this prevents the ants from getting to ground, but
be sure that no part of the plant touches anything else plant or wall
whatever or the ants will form a bridge. then keep the pot satured
with a lot of watering for a few days.

the best remedy is prevention keep them out of your pots then they
won't do any harm to the potted plant in the different ways they can.
even if they just nest in the medium they tend to make it water
resistant.

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:35:26 +1000, "Rayband" wrote:

Anyone have a safe suggestion to get rid of a large nest in my 800mm
cermamic pot containing dwarf lime tree.
I dont want to kill the tree or transfer chemicals to the tree???

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And