Old 29-08-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Little Weed Little Weed is offline

Default New Gardener

Thankyou everyone for those ideas - I am really looking forward to
getting started. Most of it is long grass, brambles and general weed.
There are also two small trees which I intend to dig out. I shall be

I too have recently taken on a plot full of weeds and brambless and the
dreaded bindweed.

My weapon on choice was Gliphosate although be carefull to follow the
instruction as my first lot was too dilute

This kills the buggers off so now I have started digging but as people
say justy doing a bit each time. The kids come with me which makes it
difficult to stay too long as they get bored after a bit of digging and
looking for worms. Although we did have some redcurrents which we
inherited which they were happy to indulge in.

I'm having to be very carefull digging it over as it had load and loads
of potatoes which hadn't grown to anything as they hadn't been looked
after but my fellow allotment owner have pointed out I need to get
every little potatoe out or they will keep coming back.

Anyway I find it amazing theropy and have actually really enjoyed the
digging and weeding so far. It's a million miles away from the
pressure of the office and takes my mind off it completely and the wife
enjoys it as she gets the house to herself

So above all enjoy

Thanks! I will - I have tentative plans as I don't actually take over
for a few days, so the weekend is going to be very busy. I hope to have
it cleared by October half term, with a greenhouse around the same
time. fencing will go up over the winter. I have some raspberry canes,
so these are a priority....as is ..everything...Lucky I like making
lists...I am hoping the weather is going to hold off over the weekend
to help me make a start, sadly in the Lake District nothing is
guaranteed! best of luck with your plot
LW