Old 20-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Ted Byers

Default amazing recovery

I have a catt, SLC Mae Hawkins 'Miya', that I thought was in dire
straits. The newest pseudobulb I was aware of had lost its leaf,
though it kept the sheath, and another sheath had turned the colour of
dead grass. I had no doubt it was suffering because of the dry
conditions I had, and could not fix, over the last three months.

It has 22 established pseudobulbs, with leaves on all but one.

I just repotted it, and found the roots to be in surprisingly good
condition considering that the medium had largely decayed. What is
more surprising is that having a chance to closely examine it, I found
5, yes FIVE, new pseudobulbs; two off of one existing pseudobulb (the
youngest that had already sported an inflorescence), and one of the
next youngest, and a couple more off of a couple back pseudobulbs
(right in the middle of the plant). If it can do this after such a
long period of extreme stress, imagine what it'll do once I get my
growth chambers built and it gets pampered with ideal catt conditions!
:-)

Cheers,

Ted