Old 30-08-2006, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Honey Fungus

"Peat-Lomas" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sterile the effected area, remove the honey fungus from your garden,
don't compost it take it off site. Then pray, honey fungus usually
attacks mainly damage trees, fruit trees and ornematal fruit trees and
any of the malus family (by the roots).
hope this helps.

That's always said but it hasn't been our experience so perhaps it isn't
always as virulent or damaging as its reputation.

We had some growing at the base of a shed by the stump of a Russian Vine. We
didn't know what it was until (we were told) it was too late. We'd watched
the quite large clump from the first stages through maturity and eventually
falling over, dark brown and slimy, then it simply disappeared.

This was four years ago, we've seen no evidence since and there are malus,
prunus, medlar and other trees in our garden and neighbours' which are
flourishing as ever.

It wasn't an error in identification, because we like to eat fungi which
appear in our garden we identify those we don't recognise. I sent
photographs of the fungus in its prime to an environmentalist and after her
positive id (she also said some folk eat it but we didn't have chance) we
found it in books and websites, there was no doubt.

Of course we were nervous that it might be spreading but there was no way we
could uproot the shed or dig the garden up at that time so we just had to be
vigilant in watching for new growth in subsequent years. There haven't been
any.

That doesn't mean that the OP shouldn't be careful of course, it's just our
experience.

Mary