Old 30-08-2006, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor david taylor is offline

Default Honey Fungus

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Danielle wrote
Please can you provide me with information on the honey fungus?

Yes, these people can......

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ney_fungus.asp

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/dc19.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_fungus

http://fungus.org.uk/nwfg/armnov01.htm

There are others, and a Google Search will get you them.

--
Regards
Bob H

Read about it check on sensitive species etc. Do not plant these where you
have taken out infected plants but don't be too worried about it. It does
not travel if ground is cultivated, but take care not to damage roots of
sensitive species. Honey fungus is all over the place and has destroyed
mono cultures growing out of their natural range (larch in Scotland) and
this may given it its reputation.

We have lost forsythia and a hydrangea to honey fungus. We took out a white
willow which was affected and have a pinus nigra which survives but shows a
line of fruiting bodies along one of the roots.
Other trees in the garden are thriving.
The forsythia was killed quite suddenly, but it and the hydragea had been
under stress for a number of years. The willow had ailed for a number of
years but it had been planted on a dry bank-a rather unsuitable position.
Regards
David T