Old 30-08-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Buddleia - dead head

In message .com, La
Puce writes

June Hughes wrote:
Then I shall assume my neighbours' bush is a posh one and that is why it
has not spread. However, it does get butterflies on it. Its flowers are
a pale lilac colour, which I thought was the common variety.

'Posh one' - I think that's funny if we mean 'cultivated', don't you
think? ;o)

I came accross many butterflies in my garden, a few Peacock and Red
admiral. Buddleias attract tortoishell, speckeled wood and Painted lady
too. I've found a bit of history which I thought you might like: From
Sue Lamb - A closer Look Guide, ... Buddleias was first introduced to
Britain from China around 1890 though these were apparently poor
specimens. By 1898 better stock had been imported and in early 1900
more bush were imported from China. Most of our cultivated buddleias
are descended from this stock. There are 100 species throughout the
world but none is native to Europe although one has become naturalised
here and is called Buddleia davidii also known in China as Summer
Lilac. The latin name is derived from the names of two men: Adam
Buddle, a 17th century naturalist and Peter David, a French missionary
who discovered the bush in the hills of central china in 1869.

There - a bit of knowledge )

Lovely. I hope my neighbour does not chop any more off the tree.
--
June Hughes