Old 30-08-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default What can I use to cover 60 sqm of this soil

EagleEyes wrote:
I live in Lancaster but have a house in the north of Portugal where I
want to plant the grass. Bermuda grass is quite common in the gardens
of lazy people like me I also though on putting some rye grass, but
I really do not have enough knowledge to judge the advantages and
disadvantages of each one. everything you said about the bermuda grass
is true, particularly the hard blades, which is my main concern with
this type of grass.

Do you think a blend with rye grass would do fine? Do not worry I will
not held you responsabile )))))

I had a little prowl, using lawn seed drought in Ggl. The Aberystwyth
grass research people are very proud of a ryegrass variety they've
discovered and named "Abernile", and which seems to be available only
in a proprietary mixture called "So-Green". If the claims are
justified, I suspect it may be what you want, even though not developed
in Portugal. Have a look at:

http://www.thegrassroute.co.uk/showP...ctCategoryId=4
a.k.a.
http://tinyurl.com/rxo5j

http://www.britishseedhouses.com/ret..._lawn_seed.htm

The resulting sward is described as "soft", which surprised me, since I
think of the ryegrasses as rather tough. You could start a lawn
revolution in Portugal: cut me in if it turns you into a zillionaire!

There are more bog-standard mixtures for which drought-tolerance is
claimed, for example "BS Grow Slow" from:
http://www.bostonseeds.co.uk/page48.htm

--
Mike.