Old 30-08-2006, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Camellia growing tips ??

On 29 Aug 2006 06:21:48 -0700, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I have a camillia which I bought at the start of the year which was
just a single stem several inches tall.

It was potted up in erricatious soil and had now just grown into a much
taller and floppy single stem.

Should I prune this to make it bush out and if so when and how should I
prune ?

Camellias don't usually need much pruning, but lanky young plants of
low growing spreading types, with lax growth, can be trimmed back to
four or five buds in winter to encourage bushy growth from low down.
But unless you know the growth habit, I'd just stake it to make sure
it doesn't get damaged by wind in the winter, and perhaps pinch out
the bud at the tip. It'll put out shoots soon enough on its own.

--
Chris