Old 31-08-2006, 04:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Default Aerate vs. Dethatch vs. Overseed

"blueman" wrote in message
"Bob" writes:
"blueman" wrote in message
I have a relatively small lawn (maybe 5 thousand square feet spread
across a couple of patches) that has developed seemingly more brown
than green spots, including a bit of a mat of dead grass.

I know I need to do something to condition the soil and re-seed this
fall.

When was the last time you fertilized? Watered? Where are you?

Bob

I fertilized generously with Scott's stage 1 in early April.
Then generously with Scott's stage 2 in early May, then again with
Scott's stage 2 in early June since I was concerned that with all the
heavy rains we experienced in Boston in May/June that the anti-weed
protection had washed away and that the fertilizer had been consumed.

If by "anti-weed protection", you mean weed-n-feed type fertilizer,
it kills on contact, and you get no weed control benefit after rain
or watering. That's why they say don't water for 3 days. Don't worry
about it. It's done its job.

You could be over fertilizing, causing the grass to grow too fast and become
at risk due to heat and drought. I do light fertilizing about half as often as
you
do, here in Seattle which isn't nearly as hot as Boston.

Bob