Old 31-08-2006, 05:53 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Pruning mint

None of my family thought duck eggs had an 'eggy' taste, although
Muscovy eggs, as do other goose eggs, had a stronger flavour.

Their feed will make the eggs taste....when I first got ducks I threw
out some leftover curry, sure enough the eggs the next day had a
distinct curry flavour and were a strange colour. Just make sure they
get plenty of green pickings and access to fresh water (although they
like to play it their drinking water too) and the eggs will taste more
hen-like. I always added some laying pellets to their feed bin but
quite often it's very salty...taste some of the pellets yourself is the
best test, I found. Not all laying pellets are equal!!

We ate the eggs soft-boiled, scrambled, poached, fried and any other way
I could think of to cook them as well as cakes, pavlovas, caramel
pies...the list goes on and on.

ant wrote:
wrote:

Ms Leebee wrote:

I am also ashamed to say I must be a very bland person, as I find
duck eggs too rich for my palette !

A lot of people say that, but I haven't noticed. We eat them soft
boiled and haven't found them too rich. They have a lovely
green-blue colour though, which could be a bit off-putting. First
time I saw one I thought it was rotten and smashed it on the
back fence.

we had ducks for years, Khaki Campbells. The eggs were "normal", just large,
and I often got upset guts from them. They were very "eggy". A cake with the
number of eggs in where the recipe was for chook eggs was distinctly eggy.

Khaki Campbells laid a lot. Pooed a lot, too.