Old 31-08-2006, 05:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC HC is offline

Default Pruning mint

I'm guessing they would be sterile. Because I had up to 11 different
breeds of duck, only one breed were allowed out of their yard each day
during breeding season. I had way too many orders to get caught up with
crossbreeds.

Farm1 wrote:

wrote in message

HC wrote:

Are you sure you aren't confusing Muscovies with ducks? Muskies

are

genetically, a goose.

I have heard that before, and certainly Muscovies are very

goose-like

(they hiss rather than quack). But they cross-breed with other

ducks,

so I guess that makes them the same species?

Horses and donkeys interbreed and they are the same species being both
from the equidae family. The offspring (mules and hinnies) are
(almost) always sterile. I'm fairly sure that the same "species" rule
applies to both Muscovies and ducks and I know that the sterility bit
does. I've yet to hear of the offspring of the duck/muscovy mating
being fertile.