Old 20-03-2003, 04:20 AM
B & J

Default Horse or Cattle manure???

"Ann" wrote in message
(simy1) expounded:

I suppose it depends on what the horse eats. I used it a couple times
(horse) and got the same weed all over the place in my perennial
borders. In the veggie garden I don't care much, but I do when it
comes to my borders. I'll stick to cow, I've used it for 25 years
around here and have had nothing but good luck with it.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

At one time my parents used fresh horse manure as a heat source in a hot bed
to start seedlings in the spring. A foot and a half deep rectangular hole
was dug in the ground in the fall, and it was covered with a south facing
wooden structure with an old window on hinges used as a cover. In the spring
(middle of March-zone 3) a foot of manure was placed in the bottom of the
hole followed by a six inch layer of straw. The seeds were planted in trays
and placed on top of the straw. Enough heat was generated by the decomposing
manure to keep the structure frost free. On extremely cold nights a horse
blanket was put on top of the structure. It was the poor man's way of making
a green house.

P.S. Well rotted cow manure works great, but I prefer sheep or rabbit
manure.

John