Old 31-08-2006, 02:44 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens
thomas p. thomas p. is offline

Default And some people say there's no God...

Jangchub skrev:

On 30 Aug 2006 03:48:22 -0700, "thomas p."
wrote:

Mind is not a thing; it is not energy. It is a process in the brain.
When the brain ceases to exist, there is no mind.

You have no evidence of this, so how can you be so certain?

I have no evidence that my furniture does not discuss politics as soon
as I fall asleep. In other words, there is no evidence or objective
reason to think anything else.

It is sad that you cannot handle criticism of your beliefs, that you
have to respond with silly accusations. My original statement that
reincarnation has no objective support for it and that, therefore, it
is an irrational belief stands.

That's the difference between you and me. I USED to criticize people
for their beliefs,

You still do. The first post of yours that I responded to was a
criticism of other people's beliefs.

and now I've learned everyone has their beliefs or
not and at the very least the phrase one of my teachers uses is:
"Hands off, mouth shut." It's even sadder you feel so compelled to
criticize.

Sorry, if you present your opinions/beliefs on a public forum, there is
nothing sad, wrong or offensive about others criticizing them. If you
cannot stand such criticism, you should not post your beliefs here. It
really is very simple.

I am not always good at this, but it is an aspiration.

What the scientific community is seeing now is the extent Tibetan
Buddhists know about the functions of the mind.

It has nothing to do
with a brain. It's a consciousness which comes from a previous moment
of itself, back and back and back.

Then you should have no problem with introducing us all to a mind, or
to scientific data that would support the above assertion.

You don't have to believe it, nobody is pushing it down your throat,
but to criticize something you are not familiar with is like me trying
to make believe I am an expert on quantum physics and mechanics.

You made a claim. So far you have been unable to back it up with
anything of substance. Instead you have posted a continuous stream of
insults, and now you are making assertions about what unnamed
scientists believe.