Old 20-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Allegra

Default still another batch of roses

"torgo" wrote

Until then, The Prince is next on my David Austin wish list, followed
by Lillian Austin and whatever nice pure white Austin I can find.
(Anyone have any recommendations?)

Now it's time to teach the secret handshake...

Wouldn't a secret twelve-step program be more appropriate?

Hello Torgo and welcome to the group,

We share something in common, I don't care much for yellow
roses, as a matter of fact last summer I donated to the entry
to our little community all the Sun Goddesses that were found
in this house when we moved, and I have a couple of Henry
Fondas that are waiting for a fellow rosarian to come and get
them out of here. I cannot explain why, but the ones with
the buff shade are quite beautiful (E.Veyrat Hermanos is one
of my all time favorites) to me but yellow-yellow is another story.

Fair Bianca is an Austin I think you would like. White white
here. Good form, nice fragrance, not very strong neck but
in my opinion at least in this case, it adds to its charms.
The Prince I adore and the fragrance is the best of any rose
Austin has put out. Bought it band size at Heirloom last Spring
and it gave us a couple of blooms that filled the room for
three days. Gorgeous rose.

If you like old garden roses I have never found yet a better
white than Kaiserina Augusta Viktoria. That continues to be
my favorite white among all roses. The fragrance is incredible
and the form is beautiful. I don't do many HTs so I am not
the one to recommend there, but just found an old one from
Bees, Cyril Fletcher and it is incredible, but it has ivory towards
the eye, and the petals are like silk.

I share also your opinion of Paul. I hope his labor problems
are a thing of the past. Always loved his plants, it is incredibly
expensive for us to buy from him because of the shipping but
we still buy at least 2 roses every year to help out. If we don't
support people like him and Vintage, Amity and all of the
small growers pretty soon we are going to be back to where
I was when growing old roses in the 70s and 80s : nowhere
and with very little selection. Eugene de Beauharnais came
from him and the bad boy is a beauty! Bloomed in the garage
in January and February and it had over 15 blooms. Good
upbringing. Cannot argue with that.

What else is there in your wish list? My husband says that
my wish list is "a work of art, always evolving" and bless him,
he says it without sarcasm!

Allegra

PS: as I said before the only 12 steps I would take would
be the ones from the car to the nearest rose in the nursery.
Willing to bet I am not alone ;)