Old 31-08-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Newport Steve Newport is offline

Default Suggestions for preserving tomatoes

On 15 Aug 2006 08:14:57 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

sherwindu wrote:
I have a load of Heritage Tomatoes this year, so I'm looking for some ideas on
how
to preserve them.

Sherwin D.

The easiest way is to have a lot of paste tomato plants, which are
ideal for canning. Every year I reduce the number of slicing tomato
plants and increase the San Marzanos (now they are 50%, or 9 of 18).
And I don't even can. When making salsa, or bruschetta, or for a quick
pasta with blended tomato, garlic, and basil sauce, they are the
tomatoes to use. Same for midsummer mixed vegetable soups, when you get
only a handful of okra, one zucchini, a handful of string beans, etc.
The base has to be paste tomato because slicing tomatoes make a pale,
less flavorful broth.

Hi all,

I am in UK and wonder if I understand 'can' in the same way that you
do. To me it means tin cans and that says to me you have some sort of
large industrial plant at the end of your garden making tinned
tomatoes?

Or are you talking about putting them into glass jars?

Personally I like the idea of frezzing and have done this myself last
year. One pound bags of chopped toms.

Also, a guy asked earlier about drying - that sounds interesting -
anybody help?