Old 31-08-2006, 02:42 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Grey water on gardens

"Staycalm" writes:
I'm interested in some low cost solutions to using our grey water. Anyone
got any hints on how to go about it? Good website references would help too.
What sort of detergent is best when on this system?

You might get more ideas if you indicate whether your water contains
powdered dishwasher detergent, and whether you are dependent on rain
water tanks or have town water. Also, "garden" is a very broad description
including everything from gum trees to delicate herbs. It's best to avoid
grey water on edible crops and where it might splash onto edible parts of
plants.

But if you are sparing in use of detergents and use almost no chemical
pot cleanser, then kitchen sink water is fine for flowering shrubs (e.g.,
camelias) and fruit trees (e.g., stonefruit, citrus). Ditto for laundry
water. After all, the alternative is death by desiccation. As others
recommend, alternate the grey water with fresh as much as possible. Use
plenty of mulch around your plants to reduce moisture loss and to
encourage microorganisms that will breakdown the organic stuff in the
water.