Old 31-08-2006, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] dazzhiggins@hotmail.com is offline

Default Greenhouse

Alan R wrote:
Hi. I have just been given a 10x8 aluminium greenhouse and would like to
know what type of base is best to put it on. Brick, block, metal etc etc.

Also i have seen some GH's on a metal frame, any good? where can i get one?

Thanks all

Where will you put it? If you want to put it on an area that is now
just grass or soil, then I can describe what was done to install our
greenhouse (a builder came and did it; he was recommended by the
greenhouse supplier; that proves nothing and could be the wrong thing
to do but I can describe it anyway).

He dug a shallow trench around the boundary of the plot; this was only
a few inches deep and less than a foot wide; He made sure it was
roughly level and he filled that with conctrete which he also made sure
was level. When the concrete was set he laid concrete blocks on their
sides so that a 12x8 foot greenhouse base would fit along the centres
of the blocks. These were mortared in and when they were set the
greenhouse base was fixed to it using rawlplugs and screws.

For a greenhouse that size, it has to be fixed to something very level
(or glass will not fit well) and very heavy so it will not blow away.
I have seen people dig deeper trenches and build little walls which
will be more secure but more hassle. We have nad no hurricances yet
but some big storms and it has remained secure (so far :-).

For 6x8 greenhouses, it is common to see them bolted to paving slabs; I
worry about what them happens in a hurricane; also it is noce to have
bare soil to grow in directly rather than growbags.

Des in Dublin