Old 31-08-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default lawn roots

On 31 Aug 2006 11:33:53 -0700, "irish" wrote:

Hi:

In a healthy lawn, how deep should the roots be? I've been told it is
better to soak the lawn every 3rd day or so instead of watering a
little every day as that will inhibit the roots from growing deep into
the soil.

There are many varieties of grass, some with shallow roots others with
deep roots. Frequent small amounts of water is not good for most
plants. Grass roots will grow deeper if the lawn is kept at the
highest height practical for the particular uses of the lawn and
variety.

A related question: Does a lawn start turning brown immediately if the
roots have no water or does it take a few days?

Most plants will wilt if not given enough water. Grass needs about 1"
of water per week, but less with lower temperature. Some varieties of
grass are more draught tolerant than others. I do not water my lawns
at all. It does turn brown with a 3-week draught, but turns green
again. Newly planted grass can not take a draught so easily.

thanks,

doug