Old 01-09-2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Weigela question ....

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:27:19 -0400, (Rosie Face)
wrote:

Hi everyone ! I have this ten year old Weigela that is growing
beautifully by a walkway . Some of the branches are taking over the
walkway . Is it okay to cut them back at this time of the year ?? It's
hard to get in the house . I'm in NE Indiana z5 . I would would
really appreciate your input !

My wife gets tired of me telling her that it is the wrong time of year
to prune/transplant/plant/buy/whatever. About a month ago,
mid-summer, she decided to tackle our weigela which had grown to about
10 feet across with runners and vines reaching out 20 feet or more.

I keenly observed the look in her eye and kept my opinions to myself.

Soon the crashing and snapping and cursing commenced. The curses must
have come from the weigela because my lovely wife does not use such
language.

I stayed out of sight in case someone had to call for re-enforcements.
Every now and then I would peak around the corner of the house to see
if there was still movement. Seeing my wife's work boots under the
plant and observing the flying vegetation I figured that she was
holding her own.

A couple of hours later the weigela looked presentable, a mere shadow
of its former self. The wife was a smiling mess but she scrubs up
pretty good.

Yup, that was the right time.

John - also in zone 5