Old 01-09-2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
The Cat Whisperer The Cat Whisperer is offline

Default Tomatoes... cherry tomato plants, in a pot, on my balcony... HELP PLEASE

Thanks to you both...
I will pinch everything now, and for next year, they will be started MUCH
earlier and be in bigger pots!
I am interested in the "made for pots" variety, if you happen to know the
name...

Thanks again!
I am off to trim

"Sparky Organic" wrote in message
ups.com...
The information sure is overwhelming, but I think that what you're
facing now is probably a situation you won't face next year, when
you'll be able to start earlier, etc. And you'll have the whole winter
to read up on it. So let's just deal with what's going on now.

What I'd suggest doing is to pinch off all flowers and only leave the
fruits that are developing. Also pinch off any branches that don't
have fruits on them, because they are only taking up energy and aren't
going to do anything beneficial.

Make sure you plant has as much sunlight as it can get, and keep it
well watered. If you have clusters of three or four fruits all
together, leaning up against each other, I'd suggest pinching off all
but one or perhaps two in any cluster. I know it's hard to do, but you
want to get the most out of whatever tomatoes your plant can still
produce.

Next year you can make sure you grow a determinate variety that will
require less pinching. There are also varieties that are engineered to
grow in pots, which could be interesting and much easier to grow. And
as I said you can hopefully get an earlier start, maybe even starting
the plants indoors to make the most of your short growing season.