Old 31-08-2006, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] silicontundra@yahoo.com is offline

Default Heirloom tomatoes in Upper Midwest

wrote:
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
On 24 Aug 2006 14:57:43 -0700,
wrote:

Why are our Brandywines taking so long? Why is there such a fruit size
difference between Stupice and Brandywines?

They're different varieties, that's why. Brandywines have been
selected to produce fewer but larger tomatoes, and it takes longer

We will harvest our first Brandywine tomorrow and tell you our opinion.

Our first pink Brandywine was 4 1/2" diameter. It had a lot of fissures
near the stem end but else was intact and had no blemished areas. After
trimming away the fissures and cutting out the extended stem-like-green
inside the tomato, we tasted it and it tasted just like all other
tomatoes. Other than the size, it wasn't much different than other
vine-ripened tomatoes or the Stupice. Is this the typical experience of
other Hierloom growers?

Lucky for us there are many other Brandywines, still green, on the two
6 ft vines.

Our largest Stupice still is about 1 1/2", now into our third partial
harvest. Any way to encourage growth to 2 1/2", the advertised size?
Regards, Phil