Old 01-09-2006, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
told2b told2b is offline

Default Weigela question ....

Rosie Face wrote:
Hi everyone ! I have this ten year old Weigela that is growing
beautifully by a walkway . Some of the branches are taking over the
walkway . Is it okay to cut them back at this time of the year ?? It's
hard to get in the house . I'm in NE Indiana z5 . I would would
really appreciate your input !

Thank you !
Rosie z5

Wisterias should be pruned twice each year (a) to ensure plenty of
flower bud, and (b) to keep this vigorous climber under control. Both
of these operations should be carried out each year. The only shoots to
be left 'unscathed' are those which are required to extend size or
direction of the plant.
Late Summer Pruning: (Now!) Cut all of the current side-shoot growths
back to within 12" of the main lateral. This allows more sun to get to
the wood, encouraging flower-bud formation. This should leave 4-6
leaves on each side shoot. Obviously, any side shoot required to extend
or train the framework should be left and trained as required.
Winter Pruning: February: Cut these summer-pruned side shoots back even
further - 1 or 2 inches long, leaving only 2 or 3 buds on the side
shoot. These will be the flowering spurs. It should be possible now to
distinguish the plumper flower buds from the slimmer growth buds. Long,
whippy shoots that grew after the summer pruning should also be pruned.
Cut these back to five or six buds from the main branch, making
the cut just above a bud.
Remove any suckers that appear at the base of the plant.
HTH