Old 01-09-2006, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sparky Organic Sparky Organic is offline

Default Tomatoes... cherry tomato plants, in a pot, on my balcony... HELP PLEASE

Almost any tomato can be grown in a large pot with excellent potting
soil, lots of watering (one gallon a day at the height of summer in my
experience) and tons of sunlight, IF you pinch it back remorselessly.
However, some plants seem to do much better in containers - any cherry
tomato of a determinate variety is a good bet. Parks sells seeds of
brands that are supposed to be specifically for containers, although
I'm not sure how they are different from other tomato plants. Try this
link:

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/s...&OfferCode=SH1

I've successfully grown "regular" tomato plants (Big Boy, Better Boy)
in large plastic pots, but they are thugs. One thing about tomatoes is
that - like roses - they are VERY heavy feeders. I've found that any
fertilizer with equal amounts of NPK (10-10-10) is good for tomatoes.
I start them indoors under lights about six weeks before I intend to
plant them out, and when I plant them I pinch off all but the two
topmost sets of leaves and plant the tomato in the ground right up to
those leaves. This is one of the only plants you could - and should -
do this with, as it puts out new roots at each axial node, unlike most
plants which would die if you treated them this way.