Old 01-09-2006, 09:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ron Clon Ron Clon is offline

Default Coffee Grounds?

Exotoxins. They are the poisonous substance not the bacteria.
Like in Botulism. You can cook a contaminated food to kill the
bacteria, but the poison has already been released and the heat will
not kill it.
Do what I do. Test it first, or as it is called in the trade "TIF".
Usually late at night and on a neighbors yard to be my best area for
TIF'ing.
Oh wait. I'm posting in the wrong group. I thought this was
Alt.Soil.Microbes.MicroBiochemistry. My bad.

But wait. Contrary to popular opinion, Trichinosis is not a bacteria,
and it doesn't produce a problem, it is a problem. It is a parasitic
worm that has a life cycle that at one time was common to pigs and
humans. First generation is in the pig and the second generation is
in the human (from eating under cooked pork.) It is my belief that
this may have been why the Jews don't eat pork, people got sick from
it in the old days and no one knew why.

Oh well, I'm just trying to keep the group alive, don' t kill filter
me.

Ron

Keep on TIF'ing!

Anaerobic bacteria makes poisons (chemicals). These can be absorbed by
edible plants and passed on to whatever or whomever consumes these. One
commonly recognized is trichinosis occurring on flesh in a sealed container.
The bacteria itself isn't the problem, its what it produces.

Can't happen in an open storage container, or a sealed container lacking
moisture. Can't happen viably in the soil.