Old 01-09-2006, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Ipomoea

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
Morning Glories.
I planted a few this year using a method I read about in the paper
in early June, which was to soak them in warm water for a few hours,
then plant two in each small pot with compost, then pick out the
weakling. The resultant plants have grown up poles to a height of
four feet or so but refuse to flower.
When I was in Spain last week there was a magnificent display of
them just rambling all over the top of a wall, not climbing or
anything. Hundreds of the superb blue flowers I was looking forward
to.
Any ideas on why they don't flower? I used two different packets of
seeds from two different suppliers, different varieties too, but no
flowers on either. I suspect I should put them in earlier without
soaking, but the article indicated that they should flower either
way.

Are they still in pots? Indoors? Maybe that's why they're not
flowering. They like growing where they've been sown too. But also, I
would have planted them much more earlier. HTH

Yes, but the pots are those degradable ones made of cardboardy stuff, and
they in turn are in the ground. They're outdoors, growing up a wooden frame.
I think you're right, planting them earlier rather than forcing might be the
solution. Ah well, next year!

Thanks