Old 01-09-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Ipomoea

On 1/9/06 12:47, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

On 1/9/06 12:00, in article , "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

snip
Yes, but the pots are those degradable ones made of cardboardy stuff, and
they in turn are in the ground. They're outdoors, growing up a wooden frame.
I think you're right, planting them earlier rather than forcing might be the
solution. Ah well, next year!

We have Ipomoea growing over an arch in the garden and I think Ray popped
them out there about two months ago or so - I'll check that. But he started
them off in a greenhouse and they're now flowering madly in a west-facing
border which gets a lot of sun. I do think 'a lot of sun' is part of the
key to these doing well in this country.

Over lunch I checked into this a bit more. Ray grows ours from cuttings.
It's Ipomoea learii. He suggests that sowing seed as early as January
wouldn't go amiss and says that he thinks the secret is to pot them on until
they're in pretty roomy pots and are about 5' tall, *then* put them outside.
All this is of course, bearing in mind that they're grown in a prop. house
with heated benches, misting etc. but there's no reason you shouldn't
achieve a good display with yours. The one we have under glass atm is
stunning everyone with the display it's putting on - it really is a fabulous
sight.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk