Old 01-09-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Blackberries with thorny hawthorn leaves ?

"La Puce" typed

wrote:
I have a lot of ordinary blackberries with roundish leaves in my
garden. I also have a blackberry plant with very thorny darkgreen
leaves. Its leaves is just like hawthorn leaves and the berries is just
starting to ripe. Teast and look just like blackberries. Any idea what
this plant is please?

You have there two varieties of blackberries, the thornless one,
cultivated blackberries and the wild one, the bramble one The wild one
has usually smaller fruits but more flavour and has vicious leaves!.
Also they ripe now whereas the thornless, at least mine, I have been
picking since end of July (like rasberries). Do pick the wild
blackberries before the 10th October. Passed that date it is said that
they taste awfull because the devil has peed on them )

I thought it was the 1st October!

The berries of whatever grows wild here are big and juicy.
They have mostly finished.

Some have thorny leaves.

--
Helen D. Vecht: