Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Tomatoes

" Jeanne Stockdale" typed

Following on from the previous thread about blossom end rot, we are now
finding that those that didn't have BER are splitting across the top. Any
ideas on the cause.

I know BER is reputed to be due to lack of or intermittent watering. I also
think the incredibly hot weather in July had an effect. In previous years
we have always grown our tomatoes in a smallish greenhouse - open doors
either end to create a throughflow of air. Although we still got some
BER on
the first trusses, we never had any problems with later ones. This year we
grew them in a very large glasshouse and although all windows and
doors were
open, there never seemed to be a cooling flow of air. Despite being watered
3/4 times a day, the BER has been much worse than usual.

Have decided to go back to using the smaller greenhouse next year -
convinced it will make a difference

Jeanne

We have had BER on some of our tomatoes and some of ours have split.
They have been grown mostly out of doors, some in the ground and some in
pots. We have a mini-greenhouse which housed some plants. These seemed
to have more BER than the others.

All the plants are fruiting now (apart from the one that Homself gave to
a friend, whigh was devoured almost instantly by slugs) and some are
ripening.

I think July's weather is to blame. Our plants were conscientiously fed
& watered.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.