Old 01-09-2006, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Composting Dog Waste

On 1/9/06 17:05, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I wouldn't compost my dog's pooh myself but that is
because I suspect it doesn't have much goodness in it as far as compost
is concerned. Her diet consists of a lot of fibre and I don't think
there is much in that, however long it is left.

Perhaps you don't know of the benefits to compost heaps of horse, cow,
and sheep manure.

I shall talk to the vet
next time I see him.

No doubt he'll confirm that herbivores produce great fertiliser from a
diet even higher in fibre than your dog's.

Dog poo seems to take forever to break down and IME any previously
undiscovered ones lurking in bits of the garden, grow a horrible fur coat
and linger on for ever! I certainly wouldn't compost it and I believe you
can buy special bins that break it down in some form of chemical compound.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk